Thursday, February 12, 2009

Persepolis: Comic and Movie

After finishing my first graphic novel, I'm shocked at how much I enjoyed it. I was skeptical at first but now I realize that no matter the medium that a story is in, it can still get its points across.
As for Persepolis, the story really gave an inside look at the Iranian Revolution. If I hadn't read it, I doubt I would really understand what happened. The author made the characters lovable and endearing - something most would not expect these days.
I enjoyed the film in class, but the graphic novel has so much more detail that I think I'm leaning in favor of it. And it's not just the easy-to-understand story line, but being able to see scenes back to back made me want to read more. It also had great emotional effect. I remember specifically one page with two large frames. On the top, there were young soldiers dying, and below that, Marjane's first party. Seeing suffering next to celebration hit me at how intense the situation was.
Now, I'm seriously considering reading the sequel. How could she leave us hanging like that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment